Nav Bar

Monday, November 12, 2012

Altering Vintage Clothing

By Priscilla Burgos

For as long as I can remember, I've always had a love for all things vintage & unique, and a need to make things 'my own'. I've been upcycling clothing since high school, and began to apply that same craftiness to my ever-growing vintage collection several years ago. I had this collection of dresses and skirts that I had yet to wear, for fear that they might look a bit 'dated'. When I realized that all something needed was a snip and a hem, I began to create new and totally unique things for myself! You'd be surprised by how simple it really is. Since I began, I've done anything from simply hemming a dress to a modern length, to turning a dress into a skirt, or even upcycling a thrifted men's t-shirt into a mini skirt. Below are a few of my past successful projects.


1990’s dotted teal dress, hemmed.

1970’s yellow sundress, hemmed.
1980’s blue daisy dress, sleeves shortened and hemmed.
1980’s peach skirt, hemmed to mini.

If this all seems a bit involved to you, don't worry! It really is so simple. I'll be posting tutorials with step-by-step instructions on how you can alter your own thrifted or vintage items, and create something unique for yourself. So if you decide to follow along and try any of the projects, don't be afraid to get a little crafty and jump right in… and most importantly, have fun! If you'd like to get your hands on some of the lovely dresses I've featured here, you’re in luck! They're all for sale in my Etsy store, ReStitch Vintage. Along with vintage handbags, jewelry, shoes, and more! Also, be the first to know when new items are added to the store, by following the ReStitch Vintage blog. I'm always updating the store, so be sure to check back often. Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment