Nav Bar

Monday, November 5, 2012

Simplifying Socks (Cuff-down)

By Kandis Hamrick

As a beginning knitter, I was incredibly intimidated by anything more complicated than knit and purl. I desperately wanted to knit socks but feared I wouldn't be able to figure it out alone. Unfortunately, I didn't really have the option of taking a class so I decided just to go for it.

After recently deciding to give socks as Christmas gifts, I went in search of an easy way to calculate stitches for different sized socks. Most resources I found seemed so complicated that I quickly navigated away and nearly gave up. That's when I found Tessa Lau and her basic sock pattern. It was just what I needed!

She simplifies the math for customizing your pattern and her directions are clear and concise. If you want to knit socks, I recommend starting with her pattern. I won't repeat the pattern here, but listed below are the different stitches you'll need to know and links to video tutorials. I've also added some tips of my own.

Stitches you'll need to know:

k - knit
p - purl
ssk - slip slip knit
k2tog - knit 2 together
p2tog - purl 2 together
ktichner stitch (also known as grafting)

You may also find these videos helpful: ribbed stitch & stockinette stitch.

My Advice:

Change your needle size. I can't remember where I first found this, but I read once that you should go down a needle size when you cast on your socks. I ignored this because my DPN (double-pointed needle) collection is very limited. I found that my sock cuff was really loose. Since I meant this pair to be comfy house socks, it didn't really matter. For the next pair, I wanted a snugger fit so I decreased the number of stitches I cast on and did a simple increase after the ribbing. To see how to do a make 1 increase, click here.

Knit the gauge! The gauge is a swatch that you knit using your chosen yarn and needles that you then measure to determine your stitches per inch. The size of needles and weight of yarn can drastically change the size of an end product. I always used to think this was a waste of time, but it really is vital if you want to make sure your end product is the right size.

Bulkier yarn makes for faster projects. Use bulky yarn and larger DPNs to complete a project more quickly. This will make warm, comfy socks more suited for lounging around the house than for daily use, but they'll go fast! Just think how accomplished you'll feel when you can brag to everyone about how quickly you made your own socks!

Trust the pattern and trust yourself! At first some of the directions may seem strange, but trust me when I say it'll make sense in the end. You may second-guess yourself and your abilities. I've been there. Don't do it. I once went to a yarn shop and told the owner I felt that I needed to take classes with real knitters because I was afraid that I wasn't doing things properly since I was mostly self-taught. She looked at me and asked: "Did it unravel?" I shook my head and she asked: "Did it turn out the way you wanted it to?" I nodded. She smiled and told me: "Then you did it right. The rest doesn't matter." And that's the thought I want to leave you all with.

No comments:

Post a Comment