Nav Bar

Monday, December 24, 2012

DIY Ruffly Belt


By: Courtney Patach

I saw this gem on Pinterest and I knew, right then and there, that I was going to have to try this DIY project. I’ve noticed that, the older I’ve gotten, the more my inner five year old child is coming out. If something’s pink, lacy, or has sparkles: Hell yeah, I want it!

Supplies Needed:

  • Ribbon – as wide as you’d like your belt to be. I used 1.5 inch grosgrain for my belt, but you could certainly use something else entirely. Just make sure it will lie nicely on your waist.
  • Fabric – I used four different types of material with similar tones; two fabrics in different shades, a shiny ivory tulle, and a soft ivory lace. Different textures make for nice variation when they’re all mixed together. The scrap remnants or fat quarter bins at your local fabric store make great places to start if you don’t want to purchase large amounts of fabric for this project.
  • Needle
  • Thread

Directions:


For the complete tutorial, see Rachel’s detailed explanation of a similar headband on her blog. But the gist is this…
 
  1. Cut your fabric into about 2 inch squares. You’ll need about 2 squares per flower petal so you’ll want to cut a ton of squares.



  1. Make your flower petals by stacking 2 squares on top of each other, rotating the top square slightly to create an X. Place a few small stitches through the base of each flower petal to secure. I suggest making a bunch of flower petals before you start attaching them.



  1. Find the center of your belt and start attaching the “flower petals” there. I suggest cutting your ribbon longer than you think so you need. This will allow a little room for error, an off center look, or a big bow.


  1. Attach as many flower petals as you’d like, rotating textures and colors for definition. I believe I used about 45 flower petals in all.


There you have it; a custom, lacy, fluffy, belt in no time. With a little imagination the possibilities are endless! This tutorial can be adapted to create numerous lacy, fluffy, ruffly items. I think a headband is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment