Nav Bar

Monday, January 14, 2013

Extra Crispy, No Mess Bacon


I love eating bacon, but the mess of cooking it on the stove top stops me from making it as frequently as I would like.  I discovered a few years ago this way of cooking bacon.  You cook it in the oven, which prevents a mess all over the kitchen when you want bacon.  Also, when you cook it this way, the bacon doesn't sit in the fat while it cooks which stops it from getting soggy.  

You will need:
  • a baking sheet
  • aluminum foil
  • a wire cooling rack slightly smaller than your pan

Preheat your oven to 400.  The first thing you'll do is cover a baking sheet in aluminum foil.  If you don't want to wash the baking sheet after, I suggest doubling up on foil.  Once the foil is completely covering the pan, place the wire rack on the pan resting snugly so it won't slide.  If you need to, adjust the foil on the side of the pan to keep the rack in place.

Place bacon strips on the rack bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.  I like my bacon really crispy, so I usually cook mine for 20 or more minutes.  While the bacon cooks, the grease will drip down onto the foil.  If you want to save it, you can easily funnel the grease into a container with the foil.  If you usually throw the grease away, you can leave the pan out to cool, then once the grease has hardened enough, you can just roll the foil up and trash it.

And there you have it! Tasty, crispy, mess-free bacon.  Just throw them on a plate (no paper-towel required) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment