Nav Bar

Monday, February 25, 2013

Paleo Friendly Cookies/Bar

By: Victoria Kulig

I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I love cookies, so having a cookie on hand that is safe to eat is always welcome.

After I made these, I did alter the recipe a tiny bit, and I found they were more like small granola bars almost. They weren't as sweet as I would like in a cookie, but they are great as just a snack. I also found that they were much more tasty cold!


Ingredients:

  • 2 bananas, smashed
  • 1/3 cup coconut flour
  • 3/4 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
  • 1 apple, finely diced
  • 1 cup coconut milk (I did not have coconut, so I used sweetened almond milk)
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • Optional: cup shredded coconut, or cup of dark chocolate chips. Or if you're me, both!

Directions:

 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Peel your bananas, put them in a bowl, and use a fork to smash them up.

 


3. Add the coconut flour, almond butter, and baking soda, and mix well. Chop up your walnuts as finely as you can, and dice your apple.


4. Add the walnuts, apples, coconut milk (or almond milk) and cinnamon to the bowl and mix well.


Optional Step: If you want to add shredded coconut, or dark chocolate chips - now is the time!


5. Grease your cookie sheet, and spoon our big tablespoons of the mix onto it, about two inches apart. Bake for 30 minutes.


As I said, they're big, and a bit more like a granola bar than a cookie. They aren't sweet - but they are delicious! They're quite filling, however. I kept them in the fridge and would use them as an afternoon snack at work.  My husband was rather fond of them as well.

Tips:

Almond milk and coconut milk are becoming more and more popular, so you can likely find them in the milk section at your local grocery store. I've been able to find both at Winn-Dixie, Publix, and Wal-Mart.

Coconut flour (or almond flour) are not quite as common. I've found them in Publix in the Greenwise section, or in Wal-Mart in their 'gluten-free' section.

Almond butter can be found near the peanut butter, and I've seen it in Winn-Dixie, Publix, and Wal-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment