I am following a Paleo lifestyle in my on-going process to become more healthy and take better care of my body. In this dietary change, it has eliminated a lot of processed foods from my diet - as well as dairy, legumes, wheat, gluten, pastas... and a wealth of other foods.
While it is an overall healthy diet - full of meats, vegetables and fruits, sometimes I miss things.
One of those things is the convenience of frozen waffles.
I found a recipe for making Paleo friendly pancakes, then tweaked it a bit to make waffles out of it.
- 3 cups almond flour
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup of water
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- Coconut oil (or butter, or ghee... I use it to keep them from sticking to the iron)
- cup of dark chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk it all together.
- Get out your waffle iron, grease it, and heat it up.
- Pour mixture into waffle iron. Cook waffles.
- Enjoy heavenly aroma of honey, vanilla, and chocolate.
- Take out cooked waffles, put into a gallon sized Ziploc bag, and put into freezer immediately.
This recipe would make about 12 waffles - so if you eat two at a time, you're looking at 6 servings. If you make smaller waffles, you could stretch it out a bit more. They taste fine plain, but I love to drizzle a little honey on them when I eat them.
I used dark chocolate chips because I am a sucker for chocolate. Feel free to swap that out with fresh berries or even nuts to try different combinations!