Nav Bar

Monday, February 18, 2013

Paleo Friendly Waffles

By: Victoria Kulig

I am following a Paleo lifestyle in my on-going process to become more healthy and take better care of my body. In this dietary change, it has eliminated a lot of processed foods from my diet - as well as dairy, legumes, wheat, gluten, pastas... and a wealth of other foods.

While it is an overall healthy diet - full of meats, vegetables and fruits, sometimes I miss things.

One of those things is the convenience of frozen waffles.

I found a recipe for making Paleo friendly pancakes, then tweaked it a bit to make waffles out of it.


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups almond flour
  • 6 eggs
  • 3/4 cup of water
  • 3 tbsp honey
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • Coconut oil (or butter, or ghee... I use it to keep them from sticking to the iron)
  • cup of dark chocolate chips

Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl and whisk it all together.
  2. Get out your waffle iron, grease it, and heat it up.
  3. Pour mixture into waffle iron. Cook waffles.
  4. Enjoy heavenly aroma of honey, vanilla, and chocolate.
  5. Take out cooked waffles, put into a gallon sized Ziploc bag, and put into freezer immediately.
Now that you have cooked and frozen your waffles, you can have them whenever you need them. Just pop them into the toaster and they will smell as good as they did when you first made them, and they'll be crispy - much like an Eggo waffle would be.

This recipe would make about 12 waffles - so if you eat two at a time, you're looking at 6 servings. If you make smaller waffles, you could stretch it out a bit more. They taste fine plain, but I love to drizzle a little honey on them when I eat them.

I used dark chocolate chips because I am a sucker for chocolate. Feel free to swap that out with fresh berries or even nuts to try different combinations!

No comments:

Post a Comment